CHAMPAGNE BUCKET HARCOURT BACCARAT :
CHAMPAGNE BUCKET HARCOURT BACCARAT,
♦ HARCOURT BACCARAT :
A small village surrounded by green forest that gets its fair share of rain. This is the humble setting in which magic has made its home for the last two hundred and fifty years. First of all, on 16 October 1764, Louis XV authorized the creation of what would become the prestigious Baccarat crystal works. At the time, the region was weakened by an economic crisis, brought about by the closure in 1760 of the saltworks of the Baccarat castellany, owned by the Bishop of Metz. To remedy the situation, the Bishop, Louis de Montmorency Laval, came up with a bright idea: crystal!
The product had become hugely popular all over Europe. Particularly the crystal manufactured in England and Bohemia, which was prized by royalty and the wealthy classes. The Bishop's lands were densely forested, so an excellent fuel source... but they were also rich in sand and potash. The raw materials of glass manufacture. At the result, Monseigneur de Montmorency Laval deferred to Louis XV, asking him to give his blessing to the construction of the factory: "France", wrote the prelate to the king, "is lacking in glassmaking craftsmanship and this is why the products of Bohemia are flowing into it in such large quantities, resulting in an alarming expropriation of funds at the very moment when the kingdom has most grave need of monies to recover from the deadly Seven Years'War."